Close your eyes and Imagine a world where you order products online and they are delivered to you safely without card-board or plastic packaging. Does this vision seem too good to be true? Well you’ll be happy to know that there are a handful of start-ups across the the globe who are working their way through current supply chains to make this vision a reality.
Hello & welcome to CBP a series where we look into circular economy from the Indian context. I’m your host and dost Sreepriya Sridharan, and today we have with us Dhwani Mehta co-founder of Ecovia who are a packaging as a service company that helps e-commerce & hyperlocal players switch to returnable reusable packaging.
This interview is a 2 part series. Please join me in part 1 of conversation with Dhwani.
In this episode we cover the following points;
- How online shopping mania during 2020 lockdowns opened their eyes to the countless cardboard box wastes accumulating at home.
- Why consumer behavior needs a conscious change?
- How can brands make the journey of sustainability easy for their customers; can sustainability be made as a convenient step, instead of adding another task for them to handle?
- Ecovia opts for carrots & carrots —> no penalty for customers for inaction, instead only rewards for being responsible;
- Second wave of COVID made them think of a brilliant idea to utilize the newspaper boy networks to pick-up their pilot run packages;
- A customer who gets their shipments in Ecovia packaging has a simple task- ensure that you make time to return the packaging;
- Recycled polyester-PET bottles- are used to make the bags;
- 1 bag can fulfill 150 uses, optimizes shipping costs;
- Busts myth around assumptions of carbon footprint around cardboard packaging;
- How buying “compostable” bags may not be a good alternative to plastics in stead we should be on the lookout for backyard compostable options, if one is serious on seeking for alternatives for plastics;
- Currently their packaging material supports fashion beauty & packaged food;
- They plan to collaborate with businesses that have high customer touch points to ensure convenient returns for Ecovia bags;
I see a huge potential in Packaging as a service model, do you?
If you are aware of similar groundbreaking technologies in India, then please share it with us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Keyword : What is a circular economy?--- This episode is sponsored by · Anchor: The easiest way to make a podcast. https://anchor.fm/app --- Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/circular-business-podcast/message